The Last Date
Today was the first time in a long time where you screamed into my face. We were talking about an incident which you brought up and I couldn't remember it the way you did. You also called me a sex addict, someone who constantly joked and told you about sex. But that's what couples do, don't they? They share everything, even from the most mundane and minute details of their day and feelings to the major highs and lows of their day. But that was not how you saw us. You said firmly "no, we aren't a couple and I don't see you that way". You refused to listen to anything I say and refused to find a middle ground.
Somehow, no matter how much good you do, it only takes one bad incident to erase your entire worth to someone. Today, I became a nothing. The multiple times I surprised you at your doorstep, the times I took time out of my schedule to spend time with you, all erased today. The most painful part? When you refused to acknowledge that I didn't walk away this time. This time, I managed to force myself to stay seated and not get up and storm off. I forced myself to keep my anger, in hopes that retaining my cool can salvage whatever that is left. Alas, there was nothing left to salvage. Nothing about what I did was appreciated. And that's how easy it is for someone to forget the worth you once had to them.
To me: Remember this day clearly.
Remember the way she called you someone who only bothered about sex and nothing else.
Somehow, no matter how much good you do, it only takes one bad incident to erase your entire worth to someone. Today, I became a nothing. The multiple times I surprised you at your doorstep, the times I took time out of my schedule to spend time with you, all erased today. The most painful part? When you refused to acknowledge that I didn't walk away this time. This time, I managed to force myself to stay seated and not get up and storm off. I forced myself to keep my anger, in hopes that retaining my cool can salvage whatever that is left. Alas, there was nothing left to salvage. Nothing about what I did was appreciated. And that's how easy it is for someone to forget the worth you once had to them.
To me: Remember this day clearly.
Remember the way she called you someone who only bothered about sex and nothing else.
Remember the way she screamed in your face and twisted the facts of the matter that led to her outburst.
Remember the way she didn't appreciate your jokes but appreciated Richard's.
Remember the way she was much happier while on the phone with him.
Remember the bad.
Because if you choose to stick around, you're only digging yourself deeper into her wrath.
So to me, please, remember today.
Remember.
Comments
Post a Comment